Saturday, February 12, 2011

Stuck out...

Last Sunday, our Pastor preached a wonderful, encouraging, and powerful word.  One verse stuck out in my head like a soar thumb.

I thought I'd share it with you... along with some of the thoughts I've had this week.

The particular verse he spoke about was Matthew 12:36.  There was a word in that text that jumped off the page.  However, I'm going to start with verse 33.  It's just as meaningful.

33 "Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad.  34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good?  For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.  35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him."

36 "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for EVERY idle word they have spoken.  37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

The word that spoke to me was IDLE.  

Idle: careless, lacking substance or value, vain.

Lord, help me to speak encouraging words.

A friend's facebook status this week hit me... 

"If you surround yourself with trash, you'll begin to smell like garbage."

Don't let trash come out of your mouth... you'll be held accountable one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment