Saturday, February 5, 2011

Oh, the Blood...

If you don't already know, I'm completely inspired by music.  Several of my inspiring posts have been about songs.

I had a conversation with my Grandmother this week about how some people say they "like" a song, but they don't really know what it's about.  They are attracted to the beat, the melody, the "make you feel good" qualities.  However, they have never really stopped and listened to what the song had to say.

I am completely guilty of this.  In highschool, I had a "bad experience" with the song "I Hope You Dance" by Leann Womack.  (Some of you MIGHT even know what I'm talking about, or would remember if I told you - so I'm gonna leave it at that).  Ever since, I have not even been able to really listen to that song.  It grated on my nerves for so long.

Leave it to my Grandmother to LOVE that song.  She has asked me for YEARS to sing it for her.  I just never could bring myself to do it... always telling her that it was too high, or just not my style. :)

Recently, I recorded a couple of songs onto a CD for her.  She is one of my biggest fans and would probably drive me to Nashville today if I asked her.  (You know Grandmothers... they believe in you when no one else does.)

Anyway, I made her a CD.  The first song = "I Hope You Dance".  It made her day.  She calls me often to tell me that she listens to it OVER AND OVER again.  And I believe her. :)

As we talked this week about that song, I told her the story about why I disliked it so much.  And she told me, "I just love the meaning of the song.  The words are so powerful."  And she's right.  It is an awesome song - despite my memories of it.

So that brings me to my point - sorry for the rambling.

I find myself falling in love with music - not just because of the beat, melody or funky rhythms. :)  But the words.  Jason, for one, will wonder why I enjoy listening to certain songs (or why I chose to record some of them on my upcoming "CD", but it's because of the message.  I could listen to them time and time again, just simply because of the lyrics.  They are uplifting.  Expressive of what I want to say and how I feel.

We are learning some GREAT new music @ church of Wednesday nights. (Christway - join us if you need a place to call home!)

We listened to one this week that has just gripped me.  I CANNOT stop listening to it.  Not only is the singer amazing (Mrs. Kari Jobe), but the words are SO POWERFUL.  

Please take a minute and listen to it.  It would mean so much for you understand the message and share the joy it brings me.

No comments:

Post a Comment