Thursday, May 26, 2011

OUCH!!!

See this photo?  I know it probably doesn't mean much to you, but I'll try my best to explain.



Everyone has a navicular bone in their foot.

10% of the population has an EXTRA bone, called the accessory navicular bone that is attached to the end.  Most of the time, it doesn't cause problems.

I am one of those 10%.  And the one in my left foot is broken.  It's actually been broken since I was about 12.  Yep, 12. 

(I won't bore you with the story about how my parents ignored me every time I told them my foot hurt.  They love that story.)

So anyhow, since then, I've always had lots (and LOTS) of pain in my left foot.  In the past year or so, it's gotten extremely bad.  Sometimes UNBELIEVABLY painful.  I saw a doctor about a year ago to see what the problem was... I had no idea I had a broken bone.  I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, and I guess that's why it took me so long to see what was wrong. 

I was told the only fix is surgery.  Surgery involves removing the extra (broken) bone and reattaching the tendon to the navicular bone, where it's supposed to be.

It also involves a cast - up to the knee - for 6 WEEKS.  Absolutely no pressure.  NO walking.

Now, how in the heck am I supposed to do that???  With a 3-year-old???

This week, I've actually been considering it.  I've been in terrible pain today.  I haven't gotten off the couch except when Jase needed me.  I can't put any pressure on my foot, and I can't rotate my ankle.  I wish I could explain the trouble this little bitty bone is causing.

Anyway, now that you have heard my sob story, I hope you'll join my pity party. :(

The thoughts of a cast just make me anxious.  I literally start to sweat just THINKING of my leg being "trapped" inside that thing for 6 WEEKS. 

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey there, don't be scared. I had the same surgery and trust me I don't do well with surgery but the pain was finally too much to deal with and I did it. So now 2 weeks into it it's not terrible and the cast is manageable it's the crutches that really stink so I ordered a scooter that you rest your knee on. I am sure it won't be easy with a 3 year old but why be in pain? Feel free to email me with any questions,Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! I'm glad to know someone else has been through this! I am not looking forward to it at all, but I can't stand the pain anymore. Yesterday was TERRIBLE, and I was hoping it would feel better today, but it doesn't. :(

    I might contact you to get details! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carolyn and sorry the pain was so bad yesterday and I will answer whatever questions you have.

    ReplyDelete