Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sugar Scrub...

One day last week, I decided that I'd like to make a sugar scrub.  Not really sure why it came to me, but I thought it sounded fun.

I've recently become interested in making products like soap, shower gels, bath bombs, and scrubs.  I LOVE Lush for those products, but I can't afford to buy them.

I looked up some different recipes for sugar scrubs to get a general idea of what to put in one.

Then I made up my own.  It's so simple.  And you can basically add whatever you like!

I couldn't wait to use this.  I was cooking dinner and it was nice to soften my skin after cooking chicken and scrubbing with antibacterial soap.  It made my hands feel heavenly and smell good enough to eat!! :)

Here's the recipe I came up with (and feel free to add anything you like).

*Also note, I didn't use exact measurements... just eye-ball it.

Ingredients:


White sugar (you can also use pure cane sugar - recommended if you have it, but I didn't)
Brown sugar
Oil - such as olive, almond, or peanut. (for some reason vegetable is not suggested - but I would think it would be fine if that's all you've got)

Things that I added:

Vanilla fragrance oil (I had some from soap making, but you could use vanilla extract)
Sweet almond oil (another soap making ingredient - but not necessary)

Directions:

-Mix equal parts of white sugar and brown sugar.  I used 1/2 cup of each.
-Use a whisk to blend together evenly.
-Begin to pour your oil in (in tablespoon increments) and let it settle toward the bottom of the sugar mixture.
-After a few pours, use a spoon or fork to mix up the mixture.
-It is up to you how "saturated" you want your scrub.  I wanted mine moist, but not sopping with liquid.  Definitely add enough oil to make the scrub "hold" together.
-Once you've reached the consistency you like, add in your extra ingredients.  I added about 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil and about 1 tablespoon of vanilla fragrance oil.  If you use vanilla extract, I would start with a teaspoon and work up.  It's much more potent than fragrance oil.
-Package in a cute, little, airtight container.


Excuse my packaging.. I didn't have anything handy.  But you could use an adorable glass jar and even give as gifts.  Here's an example:


It leaves your skin feeling so soft.  And it's safe to use on your whole body.... but you'll have a sweet tooth craving after you're finished. :)

1 comment:

  1. so cute! thanks for the recipe! i love "make your own" beauty products!

    ReplyDelete