Thursday, June 23, 2011

Homemade

I've always wanted to make something with puff pastry.  Last week at work, a little old man came by selling peaches.  I felt a little sorry for him, so I bought a bag.  I had peaches running out of my ears!!

So I thought, I'll make some peach pies.  However, when preparing my ingredients Wednesday morning, I noticed my peaches were molded!  YUCK.  I was a tad disappointed, but I decided to improvise.  I had a few apples that needed to be eaten, so I switched gears.

Homemade Apple Pies - here goes nothing.

I did research the method online before attempting, but it seemed that there was nothing to it.  

I placed my puff pastry on the counter to thaw for 40 minutes.
 During this time, I cut up my apples and made the filling.  (these were probably not the ideal apple for making pies, but it's all I had.  I think they are Braeburns, or Pink Ladys, or something like that).
I peeled and sliced the apples and sauteed them with some butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.  After they were tender, I added a little cornstarch slushy to thicken the juice.  After adding the cornstarch, it immediately thickened to the perfect "pie filling" stage.  I let it simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes total and then let them cool while the pastry was thawing.  (you can cook the apples longer if you want them extremely tender.  I wanted a little bite to them.  also, if your mixture gets too thick - as mine did - you can add a little more water.)


The kitchen already smelled DIVINE!

Next, I played a little Hanging with Friends while I waited for the next step :)
It's an AWESOME game (better than Words with Friends, if you ask me - check it out!)

When the dough was thawed, I spread the first sheet out onto my cutting board, covered in flour, and rolled it slightly.  (It's not going to get much larger, or it will be too thin).  then I cut the sheet into fourths.  
I placed a spoonful of the filling into each square.  I had to play with the amount, to make it enough to satisfy, but not oozing out.  
Then I brushed the edges with an egg wash and folded one corner over to meet the other.  Crimp down the edges with a fork and cut little slits, or holes, in the top to allow for steam to escape.  Brush the tops with the egg wash.  I also sprinkled a little sugar on top of mine, but it's not necessary.
 Transfer to a baking sheet.  No need to spray the pan because puff pastry has LOTS of butter in it.  They shouldn't stick.  But if you're scared, be my guest.
These are the pies ready for baking.

I had this much filling left over, and I used 3 apples.  I got 8 pies.  
Bake @ 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes, depending on how brown you want them.
Let them cool completely before indulging, unless you want a scolded tongue! :)
This is the finished product!

Yummy goodness!  Not bad for a first time experiment!

1 comment: