Sunday, October 31, 2010

Potty Problems...

We've got 'em.

My child is 2 1/2, can count to 100, can recognize all the letters of the alphabet, 
but REFUSES to use the potty.

I'm not telling you all of that to brag... (even though I do feel extremely proud of him).

He catches on to most things very quickly.

The potty, however, is something that he just DOES NOT WANT to tackle.  
He has no desire, whatsoever, to use it.  
He always gives me excuses - "It's too sticky."  "It's too wet."  "I already did."

I'm convinced that he's scared of actually getting it "dirty."  

The other day, my husband decided it was time.  He put a pair of "big boy" underwear on Jase, who cried the whole time, since he actually likes wearing diapers.  He didn't want to wear the Elmo undies.  But we forced him.  He got used to the idea... 

UNTIL...

a stream of wetness came gushing down his leg into the den floor.  He just stood there, looking at the horrific sight, and then started screaming bloody murder.  He was so upset... and not to mention, his feelings were hurt.  He thought he had done something terribly wrong, and he wears his feelings on his sleeves.

After bathing him and mentioning that we were going to try again, he would NOT HAVE IT.  So I gave up for the day.  

Now, I know what you're thinking.  You should have put them back on him and let him learn the hard way.  But you see, we were planning to go to Walmart that evening and I WAS NOT about to leave home with him in underwear... DISASTER waiting to happen.

Since then, I've been trying to get him to simply SIT on the potty a couple times a day... and he gets a little surprise for doing that.  He doesn't even have to pee.... just sit.  

But he's totally against it.  He walks right past the potty like it's not even there.

I think I'll just let him wear diapers until he starts kindergarten and let them deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment