Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Picks - Volumizing Mascara

Recently, I've been trying out different mascaras that all claim to do one thing: add VOLUME.

I've had some hits.... and some misses.

I thought I'd share my findings.

Let me start by saying this:  All of these mascaras are good.  But not all are great.  However, that's simply MY opinion.  I like mascaras to do a certain thing, be a certain consistency, and wear a certain way.  They may not be for you.  But I hope you find this post helpful.  Maybe you'll try some of them and let me know what YOU think about them.

Another disclaimer:  I DO NOT go to sleep with my makeup on.  I have not done that in probably over 10 years.... maybe after the prom when I spent the night with a bunch of friends and didn't want them to see my scary "no makeup" face.  Who knows.  But since then, I've washed my face EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.  I just cannot stand the thoughts of going to bed and getting all that mess on my pillow... especially mascara.  But I DO NOT use eye makeup remover.  I hate it.  I want a mascara that will wash off with my cleanser.  So that is a MUST when it comes to trying mascaras.

So, with that being said....

Here are my ratings:

#5 Wet-n-Wild MegaVolume

retails around $3.00

This was the first new mascara that I tried.  I purchased it a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to try it.  It's a rather small tube, but it's extremely affordable.  I love Wet-n-Wild eyeshadows, so I thought I'd try this product out.

In my opinion, it doesn't live up to it's name.  I DO like the brush.  I prefer mascaras with "normal" and full bristles.  Standard mascara wands.  It has that.
I also like the consistency of the formula.  It's not too wet or dry.  However, after applying several coats, it was nothing spectacular.  It does, however, wash off well with soap and water.

For a cheap, everyday mascara, it performs well.  But don't expect any major volume.



#4 Rimmel Volume Flash Scandaleyes 

retails around $6.99

I was so excited to try this one.

There are some pros and cons.  

The bristles are "normal."  The black is pretty black.  And it washes off easily.

On the down side, the formula is a tad wet, making the lashes stick together.  I can NOT stand when my lashes do that.  I actually keep a thumbtack in my makeup drawer (have done that since high school) to help separate my lashes when needed.  It drives me bananas.
Also, the wand is MASSIVE.  Like massively massive.  When I apply mascara, I start at the root and wiggle the wand to get down in there really good.  With this mascara, it's almost impossible to do that.  It's so large, you have to be very careful that you don't end up with mascara smudged all over your eyelid.  Another thing I can't stand.

I think this mascara works well when layered with something else.  I've used it with other mascaras, to top them off, and it does create some extra volume and length.  But when used alone, you'll end up with spider lashes.  If that's your thing, GO FOR IT!  You'll love it. :)



#3 Maybelline Full N' Soft

Retails around $7.99

This is a great everyday mascara.  I don't think it does anything MAJORLY spectacular.  However, I apply 2-3 coats and it does give pretty good volume.  The wand is perfect and the formula is a great consistency.  It also does what it says... keeps the lashes full and soft.  And it washes off very easily.

Even though it's not the most volumizing option out there, I will keep this in my collection as an everyday pick.



#2 L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black


This is one of my favorite mascaras.

It delivers!

The wand/bristles are great.  The formula is BLACK.  The blackest black I've ever found in a mascara.  And it makes your lashes THICK!

There are a few reasons it's not number one.  And they really sadden me.  It would be absolute perfection if it weren't for these 2 things - but maybe you'll be able to look past them.

When you first purchase this, the formula is a little on the "wet" side.  You know how some mascaras need a week or so to get to that perfect consistency?  This is one of those.  But once it gets there, it's perfect!

Also, this mascara can tend to smudge.  I'm sure if I used the waterproof version, I wouldn't have this problem.  But then I wouldn't be able to wash it off.  And you know how I feel about that.
I tend to get raccoon eyes and have to work a little harder to get it off at night.
But that's not my biggest issue.  During the day, I'll glance in the mirror and I'll have little black dots/smudges on my eyelids right under my brows.  My lashes are naturally on the long side, so with this mascara, they tend to touch my lids.  I just don't like that the mascara wears off on my skin.  I've tried using different primers under my shadow, as well as different shadows (matte and shimmer) and nothing seems to help.  

So, when I wear this mascara, I have to constantly check myself and wipe the smudges from my lids.  Annoying.  Maybe one day I'll suck it up and buy the waterproof - along with some eye makeup remover.  

One day I want to try the L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes, which is fairly new, to see how it compares.  But that's another post for another day.



#1 CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume

retails around 6.99

I have not found another mascara that I love more than this one.

It's fabulous.  In every aspect.

The brush is different.  It has plastic bristles and the wand is rather large.  I didn't think I'd like it.  But I got used to it.  It works great to separate the lashes.  
The formula is perfect.  After a few days of use, it's the perfect consistency.  It also layers great.  I usually use 3 coats.  I have even used more for special occasions and it creates a "fake lash" appearance.  
It washes off so easily with just soap and water.

It is BY FAR the best volumizing mascara I've found.

The do make other versions: Fusion, Length and Luxe.
I've tried them and I don't think they have the effect that the original Lash Blast Volume has.

It rocks!!


So there's my synopsis.  I hope you found this post helpful and are willing to try some of these out.  Even if one didn't work for me, it might be perfect for you!

Let me know if you find one you like, dislike, or think I should try!!!






2 comments:

  1. Ok so my favorite drugstore brand is Maybelline One by One... it is by far the best in that category... it volumizes, lengthens, all of the above! LOVE IT! Sometimes I pair it with the Falsies and it is even better! (The Falsies by it self not so good). The other I have is L'Oreal Million Lashes and it definitely volumizes especially the outer corner of my eyelashes which is great... I have also purchased the Almay get up and grow and it is just ok... I paired it today with the Loreal Million lashes and it was much better... :) LOVE the review! I will have to try some of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mascaras are so funny.... everybody wants them to do different things! I have the Maybelline One by One... I didn't like it. :( But I do want to try the Falsies! Might have to pick that one up soon. And the L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes. I have heard a lot of Almay's but haven't tried it either. I just love trying mascaras! But I don't need that many. :)

    ReplyDelete