Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Picks - Long-Lasting Foundations

This post is dedicated to long-lasting foundations.

Let me begin by saying this:  I did NOT try every single foundation out there that claims to have great staying power.  I only had a chance to try several.  I already owned several, and a few I purchased just for the purpose of this post... and because I was curious.

Out of the ones I have tried, I will give you MY opinion on their "stay-ability" and performance.

Let me also say:  I have combination/oily skin.  It's not as oily as in my teenage years.  But it's nowhere near the dry side.  I want a foundation that will stay put, control oil, and last all day.  And I have successfully found a few that I love.

Here goes...

I'll start with high-end foundations:

Make Up Forever
Mat Velvet Plus

What it is:  A shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation.  It is formulated to hide perfections, even out skintone, and matify with a non-oily, perfectly powdered finish.  The result is flawless and lasts for hours.

What I think:  I have been interested in trying this foundation for years.  Recently, I went to Sephora and asked for a sample of this makeup to try for a few days to decide if it's something I'd like to purchase.  It's on the expensive side, but would probably last several months.  A little does go a long way.  It is DEFINITELY NOT for dry skin.  It dries, almost immediately, to a matte, powder finish.  It does provide good coverage, but I applied it rather lightly and could still see some redness and dark circles shining through.

It DOES last.  It's not one of the most long lasting foundations I've ever tried, but it does stay well.  And it stays matte.  Even oily-skinned folks will definitely need a good moisturizer underneath.  Unless you want to look like a dried up prune.  :)

Merle Norman
Lasting Foundation

What it is:  A lightweight foundation designed for oily skin.  Glides on and stays put, for over 7 hours of lasting beauty.  

What I think:  I am a little partial to this foundation.  Years ago, when I worked at Merle Norman, I wore this every single day.  Literally.  And I've never gotten more compliments on my skin than when I wore this.  I know from experience that it works.  We used this makeup for weddings, proms, pageants, and any other event that needed a lasting finish foundation.  It does glide on.  It is a liquid consistency, smooths out nicely, but dries FAST.  You have to work in sections when applying this foundation.  Once it sets, it doesn't budge.  There's no blending after it's dry.  This can be tricky to get used to, but it's a great thing.  It is water-resistant and transfer-resistant.  And it doesn't come off until you take it off.

It is not quite as expensive as Mat Velvet Plus.  And it lasts a LONG TIME.  A little goes a long way and it has great coverage.  

Again, it's best for oily skin types.  However, we did sometimes use it on people with dry skin (and we had some dry skinned people who purchased it regularly).  With a good moisturizer, or combining it with a moisturizer during application, it can be worn by all skin types.  It does tend to accentuate fine lines.  So if you have an issue with laugh lines or lines around the eyes, you may notice them more.

It's my top pick for a high-end lasting foundation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, on to drugstore versions:

Revlon 
Colorstay (original)

What it is:  Provides lightweight comfort, so you feel like you're not wearing makeup.  Looks fresh for up to 24 hours.

What I think:  I do NOT agree with this description.  I am not a fan of this makeup.  However, most everyone on YouTube raves about it.

I guess it all just depends on what you like.

To me, this is one of the heaviest foundations I've ever tried.  It feels a little "mask" like.
It's not completely matte.  It is a little difficult to blend, but can be applied lightly... or heavily for more coverage.

One thing about it.... it doesn't go anywhere.  If you put a swatch on your hand, it won't come off with soap.  It takes makeup remover.  So that's a good thing, I guess.  I have no idea if it lives up to its "24 Hour" claim... and I don't want to know.  I personally don't like to have makeup on my face for more than half the day.

One good thing about this foundation: it comes in either Normal/Dry or Combination/Oily.  That's a plus.


Maybelline 
Super Stay Makeup

What it is:  Oil-free foundation, suitable for all skin types.  Stays comfortable on the skin and looks naturally flawless all day.  Provides 24-hour wear and no transfer.  Withstands heat, sweat and humidity.

What I think:  I do love this foundation.  Much more than Colorstay.  It is along the same lines, but not near as heavy.  Now, that's MY opinion.  I have worn this for a few years, off and on.  It has great coverage, blends easily, and lasts all day.  It's a great alternative to Colorstay.  It doesn't have the option of Dry or Oily, but I think most skin types would be able to wear this with no trouble.

Again, I won't comment on the "24-Hour" promise.  Who knows.

Rimmel 
Lasting Finish

I own the older version... It looks like this.  Supposedly, there is a newer version - 25 Hour - but I haven't tried it.

What it is:  Again, claims to have 16-Hour (or 25, whatever) staying power.  Matte finish, sweat and water resistant, and transfer resistant.

What I think:  I like it.  To me, it's probably one of the most lightweight formulas you'll find in long-wearing makeup.  It can be applied in a light layer, or built up for more coverage.  Very easy to work with.  It doesn't stay as well as some of the others mentioned, but it does work great for oily skin, creating a matte finish without looking too heavy or "cake-y."  I wouldn't expect it to last for a complete 16 hours, simply because I do notice it starting to break down by the end of the day.  But that's after a day in the Alabama heat and humidity.  

Still a great choice for a lasting foundation in a lightweight form.



Revlon
Colorstay 
Whipped Creme Makeup

What it is:  A decadent makeup that offers ultimate performance.  A mousse-like texture that feels like silk on the skin.  Time release formula balances skin for a flawless look.  All day flexible wear without flaking, caking or feeling heavy.

What I think:  I think this foundation lives up to every one of its claims.  If you read my review on this foundation, you know I love it.  And I still do.  After wearing it for a month, it has become one of my favorites.  It creates a natural, satiny, silky smooth finish and lasts all day.  I have worn it often (recently while we've had triple digit heat) and it has passed the test every time.  It stays put all day and keeps its flawless finish.  It can provide medium to full coverage.  Very build-able.  I prefer to apply it lightly, but you could definitely do more if needed.

This is my current pick for a drugstore lasting foundation.
--------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, these are NOT the only options out there.  They are the ones I was able to try.  There are several I wanted to try, and hope to in the future... but I just couldn't squeeze them in.  And I will not review something after only wearing it once.  I need some time to gather my thoughts and opinions.

Some I've heard good things about and would like to try soon:
Estee Lauder Double Wear
Estee Lauder Double Wear Light
L'Oreal Infallible

I hope this post was helpful!  Let me know what YOUR favorite long lasting foundations are... I would love to try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment