Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Heart Attack...


Last night, I almost met my maker.

Scared myself half to death.

If you don't know, my husband works for the power company, and he often gets called out in the middle of the night.  Well, yesterday was one of those days where he never actually came home from work until I had already gone to bed.  

It was about 12:30 a.m.  I had just spoken to him @ midnight and knew he was going to be heading home soon.  I had just enough time to fall into that "between" stage of sleep where I could hear what was going on but couldn't make myself wake up.  So needless to say, when I heard the sound of someone trying to rip the doorknob off of our back door, I panicked.  

Now, in all actuality, he wasn't being that loud OR doing anything out of the ordinary, but for some reason, the noise was multiplied... I guess because I was dreaming, my mind was playing major tricks on me. 

So, after laying there in a light coma for what seemed like 5 minutes, listening to an intruder only a few feet away, I realized what was happening and jumped into action - threw the covers off, grabbed the phone (which I keep attached to me when I'm home alone) and flipped on the bedroom light (like that was gonna scare them off).  You'd think your first instinct would be to hide, but I couldn't hide... not with a sleeping baby in the next room.  

I turned on the phone and placed my finger on the 9 (ready to dial 9-1-1).  I walked SLOWLY into the kitchen, peeking around the cabinet, when I heard a familiar sound... my husband's blue jeans dropping to the floor in the laundry room.

He looked up and realized I was standing there, in my pj's, phone to my ear, with my hand on my heart... literally.

I thought I was dying.  I couldn't even speak. 

I had to sit up in the bed for an hour or so, trying to coax my heart into calming down... it was POUNDING!  

I think that's the closest I've come to having a heart attack.... and I hope I never come that close EVER AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment