Friday, December 10, 2010

Not so fun...

That was how our last weekend went (besides the Christmas program, which went well).  Jase started getting what I thought was a "cold" earlier in the week.  But it progressively got worse, so I ended up taking him to the doctor on Thursday.  He was having wheezing spells and I was worried.  

Now, if you don't know me, I am an asthmatic.  I was diagnosed with asthma when I was Jase's age.  My asthma is not just brought on by colds or allergies... it's pretty much an everyday part of my life.  We always thought I'd grow out of it, but unfortunately that was never the case.

This is the 3rd "wheezing" episode we've had with Jase in the past few months.  None of them have been anything too major, but it's still scary (and has to be taken care of).

I was dreading the doctor appointment - knowing what they were going to tell me.  But I also knew he was sick. 

We saw a different doctor than normal, last minute, and I warned her that he had Mycoplasma (walking pneumonia) a month ago with the exact same symptoms.  However, she felt that this was just asthma related brought on by a cold.  We left the doctor's office with a round of steroids, inhalation solution for the nebulizer, and a cute little puppy dog mask. :)

By Saturday, I thought he'd be much better... but that was not the case.  He was worse, actually.

So back to the doctor we went.  LUCKILY, our doctor was on call that day and was able to see Jase.  He immediately said... "He's got Mycoplasma."  He ran the blood work/chest x-ray and of course, he was right.

The worse news, however, was that he definitely does have asthma.  After 2 wheezing spells after the of the age of 2, they can diagnose it accurately.  

We are hoping and PRAYING it is just an intermittent case - nothing like I have dealt with for 25 years.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.. especially my baby boy.  We have big dreams for our little guy, and I don't want this to hinder anything he decides to do in life.

He's still getting over his sickness, taking regular breathing treatments everyday... but he's such a trooper.  He never complains, and never fights it.  He knows it has to be done.  Possibly it's because he's seen me do it for so long, he thinks it's just normal.  Whatever the case, I'm very proud of him!


Now then.... I never told anyone (other than our family) that Jase had walking pneumonia... so if anyone's children come down with it after being at church Sunday, I sincerely apologize.  I normally wouldn't take a sick baby to breathe on other babies... but I couldn't let him miss his program either.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment